Friday, August 12, 2011

Copycat Babygap Dress Without a Pattern


So I went to the Children's museum with my friend the other day (again I know) and she has twin girls a little younger than Mimi.  They had on the most adorable dresses, and to be perfectly honest, I couldn't tell they were homemade until I examined them really closely.  I was impressed.  I have been sewing for a little while now, and my technique has improved (just ask my friends who got homemade gifts from me last Christmas!).  I want to be able to make Mimi adorable dresses, for a cheap price, that people won't really look at and say "nice homemade dress" but say "where did you buy it?"

Mimi has this friggin adorable denim babygap jumper dress that I got off of ebay for $3.99.  I love her in it.  Sadly, my treelike toddler is growing so quickly her little bum peeks out of the bottom a little bit more than I'd like, and it will soon be retired to the "give to a friend" or "save for baby Olive" pile.  (Olive is the girl name we like for our next potential girl child if you're wondering).

I looked at the dress and thought, I can copy this.  I made myself a pattern by tracing the dress and adding 1/2 inch all the way around as a seam allowance.  I added and extra 1 1/2 inch to the bottom to prevent bum peekage, and dug through my box of fabric I have on hand.  The dress is fully lined also.  The front is gathered at the yolk, but the back is not.  Next time I think I may make a fabric flower or some funky buttons on the shoulders to add some spunk.

Take a look at what I ended up with......all done in 2 hours.

It came out a little slimmer than the denim dress, but the fit in the chest and the length are exactly like I wanted.  My husband says the zipper is tacky, but I was trying to use what I had on hand, next time I"ll use an invisible zipper.  Don't mind the hem folded up, the dress needs to be washed and ironed.


Courtney, if you're reading this, you'll see that Mimi has claimed the pink fish bow for herself, I hope Soph likes the orange one!


No comments: