Sunday, August 28, 2011

Chocolate Beet Cake with Spiced Creme Anglaise


Oh my dear.  This cake sounded a little interesting to me when I set out to make it.  I followed the directions on this blog to make it, which I found very helpful, with some more help needed for the Creme Anglaise.  I actually called my brother, who is a french chef, well he's not french, he is trained to cook french food, anyway I digress....So my brother helped me get my cream sauce right, but other than that, the cake was pretty easy.  If you have 4 or 5 beets kicking around and you love chocolate cake like myself, give this recipe a try.  Don't be intimidated by the Creme Anglaise, this cake would be good with just the confectionary sugar as well.




It smelled a little too beet like for my liking when it went in the oven, but once it was done, not only did it look beautiful, but it tasted beautiful as well!!  Some photos from dinner tonight.  We also  had orzo with squash and basil for dinner.  We used a ton of our CSA stuff in these two items, which makes me feel like super woman of the kitchen and super healthy mom of the year at the same time.

Mimi's helping of the orzo with squash and basil

2 year-old happily eating her veggie-filled dinner

Luckily this guy likes meatless cooking as much as I do, call me crazy but I love him all scruffy looking
The Cake. MMMMMMMM


No comments: