Saturday, September 24, 2011

Austin "Zoo" and Animal Sanctuary

Today my husband had to work so it was a Mimi and Momma Saturday.  Luckily my friend Melissa (newly pregnant! Congrats!) called me and said her husband was out of town and she was pretty "Plan-less" as well.  We used my groupon and took the kids to the zoo.  She drove us in her gigantic SUV which was pretty swank compared to my poor ol' Mazda. Mimi and I felt like we were big pimpin'.

It was sunny today but not too terribly hot. This place isn't your typical zoo.



With more than 300 animals across more than 100 different species, Austin Zoo and Animal Sanctuary is a private, non-profit zoo rescuing animals and serving the Austin community. Situated in the beautiful Hill Country just outside of town, Austin Zoo is visited by hundreds of thousands of individuals each year.















It's more like a rescue zoo for abandoned zoo animals.  There were however tigers, lions, black bears, peacocks, llamas, deer, etc. There was a great petting and feeding area complete with food they give you to feed them.

The highpoint was definitely the train.  The zoo is kind of up in hill country, so it was a very scenic 15 minute (shaded! yeah!) ride. It was my favorite part, and I think Mimi's too.  It was nice to spend some more time with Melissa and get to know her a little better.  Our girls are in dance class together.

Well, it's naptime here in our house!  I'm going to join Mimi for today's nap. Cheers!

No comments: