Monday, November 1, 2010

Days 1-3 of Courtney's 10 Day Challenge (But I guess Monday is Day 1)

See previous post to know what the hey I'm talking about....

So even though I don't think her 10-day challenge doesn't start until today, I started Saturday.

This was an extra challenge because we were travelling and at a wedding all weekend in Santa Barbara for my brother-in-law's wedding.  Travelling and being out of my routine in general are big downfalls for me diet and exercise wise...so how did I do?

Saturday morning I we awoke in a strange room in a mansion in Santa Barbara, Mimi being on eastcoast time woke up before dawn, which would have been 9am our time, so can you really blame her?  Well since no one else in the house was up before dawn, my husband, Mimi and I went out and watched the sunrise by the pool and enjoyed some bananas and grapes after our sunset watch.  I took advantage of a happy baby and a house full of sleeping people and I went for a run.  So you all know I live in Florida right? You all know that the highest elevation in Florida is about 50m and there are NO hills/mountains right? Well see Santa Barabara's hillside that I ran up and down in the background of this photo...
So I ran down said hill/mountainside to the main road, ran a few miles to downdown on a more gently sloping road, then ran back up said hill/mountainside.  Why put myself through this torture (and it kind of was) well for Courtney of course! Just kidding, I did it because I knew later that day there would be food galore and cake to boot!  I also am committed to fitting exercise in my lifestyle regardless of travel and broken routines.  I got back from my run right as everyone else was getting up and making a "mountain" of waffles.  Instead of gorging on waffles Mimi and I shared an apple and I had some scrambled eggs, water, and coffee.  I opted to not get my drink on at all during the trip/wedding except for one glass of champagne.  I find that the dehydration of air travel mixed with alcohol is not worth the pleasure of being tipsy.

Sunday my healthy choices included drinking TONS of water, a banana walnut muffin, and some vegetables and noodles.  For being on airplanes all day and in airports filled with fast food, I feel like I did well.  We also did plenty of walking around the Miami an Los Angeles airport yesterday.

Monday--so the official start day right?  Well the day is young!  I started my day off by getting barfed on by my daughter who undoubtedly picked up a stomach virus from licking and touching stuff all around the airport despite my sani wipes at hand.  Now that she's peacefully sleeping on her baby tylenol, I ran to the store while my husband stayed home with her and got all sorts of upset tummy friendly foods for her and healthy (and cheap) home-cooked meals for us for the week.  We spend $49 dollars and got a week's worth (well until Friday probably) of groceries with plenty of fruits, veggies and whole grains.  Mimi will probably be eating bananas and toast today poor thing.  In a few hours I"m going to go run 3.5 miles and enjoy every minute of flat Florida.

So was this what I was supposed to do? Share my healthy choices?  I think I did alright.  In the midst of cleaning up vomit this morning I missed my morning weigh-in and can't report my weight for Monday.  Will do it tomorrow!

Now I'll do another post about the wedding....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds AWESOME! =D

Anonymous said...

I love how you still get your runs in even when your away. Sounds like you did great over the weekend. Hope Mimi is feeling better soon.