Thursday, December 29, 2011

Closing the book on 2011

Photos from 2011

This has been an epic year for our family.  When I went back to work last January after Christmas and New Years,  after having a little email battle with my boss because I refused to keep working for free, I knew I needed to get out of that situation.  My husband and I started dabbling with the idea of moving to another city.  My husband brushed up his resume and we started talking about what cities we'd like to check out.  We submitted his resume to a few jobs and he ended up interviewing for 3 jobs in Austin.  After getting all three job offers in late March, my husband signed his new contract and I turned in my letter of resignation on April 1.  

In the end of April my husband left for San Antonio where had to complete 8 weeks of training.  I stayed in FL and prepared for our move and got our home ready to rent.  In May I flew to Austin and my husband I found a place to live and checked out the city together.  We ate in SoCo, walked around Zilker, and drove around for 3 days looking at homes, apartments and condos.

In late June we moved into our place and were a family again.  Part of me was freaked out at my new "job" as a SAHM in a new city.  Every time I tried to drive somewhere, I was lost and irritated.  The heat was unbearable and I thought we'd made a mistake.  After a few weeks I met some AMAZING friends all with kids Mimi's age.  I feel so fortunate to have met these ladies.  They started including me in all their outings and activities.

We spent the rest of summer and fall getting settled into our new apt, swimming, and eating and exploring our way through Austin.  I continued to run, sew, and work on my dissertation while being able to be with Mimi fulltime.  I can't believe how amazing it is and what a privilege it is.

We spent both Thanksgiving and Christmas at home to keep things low key and save money.  Everyday my husband and I remark on how happy our lives are in Austin.  We both love our "jobs" and our new city.  It was a big transition, a lot of time, money, and work to get here.

In 2012 our goals are to continue to save $ and live on a budget, get my dissertation done, and work on a baby brother or sister for Mimi.  Probably in that order.  I'm excited for what this new year will bring.

I'm finishing off this year feeling blessed, happy, settled, and amazed at how happy I could really be.  Thanks to all of my readers for following me on this journey!

1 comment:

Sascha und Karin said...

I wish you and your family a happy new year! I love reading and following your blog:-) So I hope that everything goes like you wanted it. Best wishes! Karin from Germany