Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Thankful

Today I had lunch with one of the most giving peaceful people I've ever met.  This man runs a missionary project in Haiti but works at our department as his day job.  I offered to donate some of my time to help them create a quarterly newsletter about their work so that they can help attract more churches to help etc.

As we sat at Jimmy Jon's (eating 800 calorie 6 dollar subs) he told me what drove him to get involved in mission work in Haiti.  Every time I sit down and talk with this man I feel so thankful.  I feel thankful for things I take for granted everyday.

Today I am thankful that I have a roof over my head, while 80 % of Haitians live in tents right now.  I am thankful that my child is healthy and fed.  I am thankful that I've had access to excellent medical care, including simple things like antibiotics and vaccinations.  I am thankful that I've never in my life gone hungry.  I'm thankful that I have a family that his healthy and full of love.  I'm thankful for access to education.  I could go on and on.
Tents in Haiti

This guy's passion is feeding kids.  How simple.  This guy is so humble and peaceful.  I love the few chances I get to sit down with him between his trips to Haiti each month.

This is the guy I'm talking about with a girl he found on the road in Haiti as a newborn.  He's building her a house for her and her adopted family this year.

Tonight I put Mimi in the jog stroller and jogged a few miles in the humid Florida breeze.  I felt really clear-headed.  Yes my job frustrates me, and it's not my dream job, but It helps take care of my family.  There are some many families suffering because they can't find jobs.   Mimi is happy and loved and healthy, what more could a parent want, I mean in the big picture?

Not a very exciting post, but I just wanted to share a little bit about how I feel today.

No comments: