Sunday, March 4, 2012

After more than 2 1/2 years....

Today I felt an overwhelming sense of pride then defeat.  My baby girl, who is over 2 1/2 now, has had this nasty cold for the last few days, which normally doesn't slow her down.  Alas, last night she was wheezing and coughing all night and spiked a fever this morning.  I took her to her doctor, which I was pleasantly surprised to see that they have Sunday hours!

The doctor told us she has a sinus infection, but it had not gone into her chest.   Her lungs were clear and oxygen saturations were fine.  The doctor said she would need antibiotics, seeing that the fever came on days after the cold, it was indicative of a secondary infection from the cold.  The doctor asked me if she was allergic to anything, and I told her that I don't know.  To be honest I don't think I've ever taken her to the doctor for anything but a well child visit.  Isn't that awesome? In almost 3 years my child has never required anything more than tylenol, saline and a humidifier.  I was so proud of myself her and her little immune system for taking her this far with no antibiotics.  Then I felt defeated, thinking I should have flushed her sinuses more with saline the last few days, made her get more rest, more fluids, etc.  Damn being a mother is a lifelong sentence of guilt.

Anyway, she's on bubblegum-flavored antibiotics now, along with ibuprofen, saline, and a humidifier.  Seeing your kid suffer, knowing the pain of intense sinus pressure (I suffered from severe sinus infections most of my childhood), I wanted to cry and take all of her pain away.  She's needy, exhausted, won't eat, and just lays on my lap moaning and breathing like Darth Vador.  I steamed up my bathroom and took a long warm  shower with her and let the warm water flow back and forth over her back while I rocked her.  The bathroom was like a steamy sauna,  it seemed to help.  I'm saying a little prayer that these antibiotics kick in soon and she gets some relief.

In more positive news---we did make it to the Zilker Kite Festival this weekend.  Mimi basically just layed on my lap or in the stroller resting on a flushy pillow, but we soaked in the warm sunshine and met up with some friends.  Here's some photos:
TONS of people and GREAT people watching!

hello frumpy mom of the year award

I knew she didn't feel well when she didn't even it this eclair from central market...


My friend Emily and I

the hubs

the only smile I saw all weekend from my sick baby

1 comment:

Sascha und Karin said...

I hope Mimi is getting better soon!