Thursday, March 10, 2011

Running thoughts

Man I love night runs.  There's something so amazing about the cool crisp air, the night sky, the quiet...

I just came back from a nice 3.1 mile run at 9:30 at night.

Spare me the "you shouldn't run at night alone lectures," I wouldn't do it if I didn't feel safe.  


I've been missing my runs a lot lately.  With all my headaches and fatigue it's been hard to get my usually 4 runs in per week.  I've been reduced down to 2 (maybe 3) in a week, which kills me.  I am addicted to running.  I love the natural high, the calorie burn, the time to myself... Running has become such a big part of my life this year.  It my salvation from stress.

I love how thought race through my head while I run (no pun intended).  I started off my run tonight thinking about our potential upcoming life changes and how I really see this part of our life as an adventure.  I thought about all the fun Mimi and I could have home together all day.

As I rounded mile one, I thought about how there's this delicious smell to the air when spring comes and the trees and azaleas are blooming.  I love to run through the smells of neighborhoods.  It's something you don't notice that much, but a lot of neighborhoods have this delightful smell of laundry detergent and fabric softener.  It's kind of nice actually.

As I passed mile 2, my chest felt kind of tight and I felt kind of winded so I walked for a minute.  There's this weird part of me that feels guilty for stopping running for a minute.  Like some mean high school coach in my head yelling at me to keep running and not be a failure.  Today I didn't care.  I need to listen to my body, besides who am I trying to beat anyway?

As I finished the third mile I saw the skinny guy that passed me in mile 1 and I decided to race him home (well mentally, I didn't actually challenge him or anything).  I halled ass the last half mile and finished my 3.1 miles feeling like a million bucks.

Now I'm home and a warm bath and a good book are waiting for me.

Do you run? Try it, it has changed my life.

No comments: